German Mayors of Bruenn
was only since 1850 that the citicens of Bruenn were permitted to elect
then the mayors “decission-making”
needed a common consense and had to be confirmed by the higher
|1851 – 1855||Anton Ritter von Haberler|
|1855 1861||Dr.Rudolf von Ott|
|1861 1864||Christian d´ Elvert|
|1864 1866||Alfred Skene|
|1866 – 1867||Dr.Karl Giskra|
||German Mayors, who were elected from 1851 till end of World War I in 1918, gave essential impulses for the development and modernization of the town in respects to the welfare and well being of all the citizens, independent to their nationality.||1868 1870||Dr.Rudolf von Ott|
|1870 1876||Christian d´ Elvert|
|1876 1880||Dr. Karl van der Strass|
|1880 1894||Gustav Winterholler|
|1894 1916||Dr.August Wieser|
|1916 – 1918||Ferdinand Schnitzler|
|1939 – 1945||Oscar Judex|
Anton Ritter von Haberler
was taking care for the welfare of the people and for charity
installations, he initiated the extension and consolidation of the drainage and
sewer system as well as the building of a new bridge over the Schwarza River and
the establishing of the new cemetery.
Dr.Rudolf von Ott
continued the work of his predecessors in respect to drainage and sewer, his special interest was concentrated on the school system and continuation of school installations. During his time in office, the installation of street illumination by gas lantern began.
Christian d´ Elvert
In his two periods of being mayor, new schools were established, streets paved, the streets illuminations improved and he took care of landscaping bare lands by planting trees and shrubs, in particular for the then bare Spielberg with its fortress.
took care of the poor and arranged to have new schools build, where he introduced “Physical Education” for the first time.
Dr. Karl Giskra
Continued the work of his predecessors during the relatively short time he held office.
Dr. Karl van der Strass
Completed many of the improvements of his predecessors
Instituted the class of Kindergarten and promoted the construction of the new city theater (with the first electric illumination in an European theater). He succeeded also in providing for the destitute, in building a bridge over the Schwarza River and by the foundation of the new Central Cemetery.
Dr. August Wieser
became the mayor, serving the longest time in office. He introduced the city to modernization. During his term in office a gas and electric plant was set up, street cars and street-light system were converted from gas to electric, an employment and childrens welfare office was established for the city, a new section of the city was developed and a modern maternity ward was installed. Special attention was paid to the city employees, the elderly, widowed and orphaned.
governed the city during the last two years of WW1. Because of the continuation of the war, he could only protect the existing improvements.
Was appointed as mayor after Hitler’s troops occupied Czechoslovakia and it was declared a Protectorate. Soon after WW II broke out, Judex was still able, to make two important decisions: to correct and improve the traffic conditions and to finish the “Ringstraße”, ( circular street, following the old city fortifications line).
© BRUNA November 2001 Webmaster: email@example.com